Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Life Updates
As you know in our household we like to change it up, we can never stay in one place too long!! So we are changing it up once again and I thought I'd keep you all informed. Way back in the summer Dan applied for the Missouri National Guard. There was a position open with the JAG program for the reserves. The military is something Dan has always wanted to do and we thought it would help us income wise. The time commitment is one weekend a month (about 8-5 on Saturday and 7-3 on Sunday) and then 2 weeks in the summer. Initially he will have to go to 5 months of training (2 months Officer Candidate School and then 3 months of military law school). We recently found out he was accepted! After meeting with them and getting some questions answered and ALOT of prayer we both feel like this is something we are going to go forward with. Here is what that means for our family. Dan will be sworn in on April 12th and will participate in his first drill in May. At this first drill he will have the opportunity to schedule his training dates. These training dates fill up fast so it is kind of just whatever is available. For 8 weeks Dan will have to leave us behind and go to Officer Candidate school in Georgia. During that time I will be heading to Texas with the boys. My plan isn't yet determined. For me, moving around and spending a week or two at each family member's house is going to make the time go faster. I am just not sure if that is what's best for the boys (spending a week at my mom's, one at my dad's, one with Dan's mom, a few with Josh and Ana, a couple with Joy and Michael). Or if I should just spend the entire time in one spot (the whole time with Josh and Ana or Joy and Michael). I think a lot of it will depend on when the actual training is. Josh and Ana are building a house which will be ready in July and that would be better than trying to share their 2 bedroom apartment with 3 extra people. Joy and Michael will be moving back to St. Louis in August so that would be convenient to start or end our stay with them. So anyways after the 8 weeks Dan will be heading to Charlottesville Virginia to do his classroom JAG training. One of two things will happen here. They usually don't have family come since it is temporary (12 weeks) but if they have housing available we can come and live on base for those 3 months. If they don't have housing available then we will probably try to find a month-to-month apartment lease in Charlottesville. As a stay at home mom with boys who are completely attached to their dad, I can't imagine being without their dad for 5 entire months. At my house all day every day with them. I love them but that is a lot of time!! Luckily Michael's sister (Joy's husband) lives in Charlottesville and I think will be able to help us out if this scenario should arise. Dan will get to keep his job here in Jefferson City (although they will only pay him for 3 weeks of the time he is away) and return when his training is finished. The National Guard does pay him pretty well through his training so that is good. There are still a lot of unknowns. I think the biggest is our housing situation. Our lease will be up at the end of July and we are desperately wanting to buy a house. We are really hoping to not be stuck paying rent or a mortgage on a house we aren't even living in for 5 months but that is going to be one of those things we are leaving up to God. We weren't going to buy a house until we could get back to Kansas City or Texas but with this opportunity, we might not be back there for a few years. And Jefferson City is really growing on me. No it is not at all convenient for people to visit us because the nearest airport is 2 1/2 hours away. But I am starting to love our church and getting to know some of the people I have met there. I am really enjoying MOPS and the other moms I am getting connected to. This is a small town, but has some really beautiful areas. It is a great place to raise a family and there are a lot of schooling options (I know of a few private schools, homeschooling seems to be a big thing here, and I think some of the public schools are good if you can get a house in the right area, which is that way anywhere). I can honestly say that my faith, obedience, hope, trust, and love for Christ has grown immensely while being here in Jefferson City and I know Dan will say the same. There is something to be said about being totally dependent on God to meet your needs, and before I moved away from any semblance of family and friends I don't think I quite grasped that. I don't know what God has in store for us and I might look back on this post in a few months and things might change entirely. But for now this is where we're at. Excited and thankful for this opportunity that God has provided. Sorry this is so long!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



What an amazing time in your family's life together?! I am blown away to hear how much Jefferson City has blessed you. I just think it's incredible how God arranges everything. Congratulations! I'm praying for everything to fall into place as it will and always does :)
ReplyDeleteHow exciting and new!!! Congrats on the new opportunity and I have faith that you and Dan will be happy wherever you end up. You have so far grown to love every church and community that you have been a part of so I'm beginning to think you guys are just slowly trying to get to know everyone in the Midwest. :-)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the opportunity hope all works out!! I miss hanging out with you and your family but I am so glad to hear what god has and is doing in your lives, we just pray that we will always be connected no matter where you call home :) you can come and visit kc for a week or so while dan is gone :) we would love to see you!!
ReplyDeletethis is so awesome! i'm excited for yall. i'm sure it will be tough for a while, but you'll get in your groove and figure out what works best :) will be praying for yall as you transition in to this new life! :)congrats!
ReplyDeleteGod has great plans for you and your family! Jer. 29:11 Thanks for sharing how He is orchestrating all the details!! It helps me feel like we aren't so far away!
ReplyDelete